Technology Investment Lead
About ERA: A part of Alberta’s Climate and Innovation History
Emissions Reduction Alberta (ERA) was established to accelerate the development of innovative technologies that reduce greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions and secure Alberta’s success in a lower carbon economy. ERA delivers its mandate by investing revenues from the carbon price paid by large emitters in Alberta into innovative technologies that reduce greenhouse gas emissions and increase economic competitiveness.
ERA is a key partner of the Government of Alberta in addressing climate innovation priorities, and actively engages with industry and other organizations to identify opportunities to accelerate technology scale up and demonstration where there is an identified market need.
More information about ERA’s mandate, vision, and strategic priorities can be found at https://eralberta.ca/about-era/
About this Opportunity
The Technology Investment Lead will lead the implementation and delivery of ERA’s major technology competitions (“Calls for Proposals”). The role will report to the Executive Director, Technology and Innovation but will also liaise frequently with other members of ERA’s Executive Team as well as the technical, greenhouse gas, finance, and strategy teams. The role also requires frequent interaction with key participants and stakeholders in the Calls for Proposals process including prospective and current applicants, project evaluators and advisors (internal and external), and trusted partners in the innovation ecosystem. The role will involve contributing to Call design and evaluation criteria, drafting Call materials, organizing review sessions, and delivery of the proposal support, submission, evaluation, recommendation, and feedback components of the process. The selected individual will be expected to take ownership of the Calls process to design and implement effective and fair technology funding programs.
Roles and Responsibilities:
Project Intake, Evaluation, and Selection (50%)
- Contribute to the design of funding program technical scope and evaluation criteria;
- Lead funding program development and planning (guidelines, timelines, resources, etc.)
- Lead delivery of proposal intake including collection and analysis of proposal statistics/data and performing quality assurance on submitted materials;
- Lead the recruitment, selection, and training of proposal evaluators and advisors;
- Lead the proposal evaluation process (processes, tools, etc.) and chair proposal evaluation deliberation sessions;
- Support and manage the GHG team, finance team, and other service providers as pertains to their contributions to the review process;
- Produce high-quality deliverables relating to the Call for Proposals process including briefing notes and technical recommendations;
- Implement continuous improvement to advance the tools and practices associated with the ERA project intake process.
Proponent Outreach, Engagement, Support, and Feedback (30%)
- Act as a resource for interested parties to learn about ERA, our funding programs, and our results, including responding to inquiries and offering introductory meetings;
- Participate in stakeholder engagement and other outreach activities;
- Lead applicant support and feedback activities (before, during, and after funding programs)
- Interface with trusted partners, government representatives, and other stakeholders in the innovation ecosystem to align programming, convene resources, and connect innovators with appropriate support;
- As needed, act as a proposal advisor, proposal reviewer, and/or project advisor for ERA applicants and recipients.
Technology Intelligence and Strategic Support (10%)
- Support funding program road mapping and strategic planning by contributing technical input and analysis;
- Conduct technology scouting including literature reviews and gap analysis to maintain an up to date awareness of emissions reduction technology opportunities and pathways relevant to Alberta to inform funding program design;
- Support strategic proposals (ERA events, initiatives, strategic projects, etc), as needed.
Communications, Partnerships, and Outreach (10%)
- Support ERA’s communications team and internal events;
- Support knowledge dissemination partnerships, workshops, events, and publications;
- Represent ERA at conferences, panels, and other stakeholder events;
- Support stakeholder engagement and partnership development initiatives.
Qualifications & Skills:
- Minimum of Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Science, Environmental Science, or a related technical field;
- At least five years’ experience in field(s) relevant to energy and/or environmental technology innovation; expertise with project management, technoeconomic analysis, and/or investment evaluation and selection is an asset;
- Strong familiarity with emissions reduction technologies and innovations relevant to Alberta, especially in industrial sectors;
- Strong relationship management, project management, and analytical skills;
- Outstanding organization and planning skills with demonstrated ability to work independently;
- Exceptional client service, communication (verbal, written, etc), and interpersonal skills;
- Strong facilitation, collaboration, negotiation, and conflict resolution skills;
- Strong attention to detail along with high degree of professionalism;
- Familiarity with Alberta’s GHG emissions profile and provincial climate policies and programs, especially those related to greenhouse gas reduction and technology innovation;
- Experience in working with senior technical and management professionals from government, industry, environmental agencies and/or other stakeholders;
- Experience with contract management and stakeholder relations;
- Experience working in or with government, especially in climate-change related work, is an asset.
Full time position to start immediately.
In addition to the above skills and experience, Emissions Reduction Alberta is committed to an equitable, diverse, and inclusive workforce and Board. Applications from all qualified persons are welcome and we encourage women; First Nations, Métis and Inuit; members of visible minority groups; persons with disabilities; persons of any sexual orientations or gender identity and expression; and all those who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas to apply.
Compensation and Location
ERA offers a competitive salary and benefits package in addition to opportunities for personal and professional achievement. The Base salary for this position is between $75,000 and $95,000 depending on experience, in addition to a comprehensive benefits package. This position can be located at ERA’s Edmonton or Calgary office.
To apply for this position, please submit a cover letter and resume to Emissions Reduction Alberta at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than close of business on July 28, 2023.