Executive Director, Technology and Innovation
About ERA: A part of Alberta Climate and Innovation History
Emissions Reduction Alberta (ERA) was established to accelerate the development of innovative technologies that reduce greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions and secure Alberta’s success in a lower carbon economy. ERA delivers its mandate by investing revenues from the carbon price paid by large emitters in Alberta into innovative technologies that reduce greenhouse gas emissions and increase economic competitiveness.
ERA is a key partner of the Government of Alberta in addressing climate innovation priorities, and actively engages with industry and other organizations to identify opportunities to accelerate technology scale-up and demonstration where there is an identified market need.
More information about ERA’s mandate, vision, and strategic priorities can be found at https://eralberta.ca/about-era/.
About This Opportunity
ERA is seeking an Executive Director, Technology and Innovation. Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, this position focuses on the ongoing coordination and execution of technology investment initiatives aligned with ERA’s mandate, Government of Alberta priorities, and with the current and anticipated future needs of Alberta’s market.
To be effective in this role, the incumbent must:
- Be passionate about GHG reductions and have an interest in directly contributing to technological advancement for the long-term competitiveness of Alberta’s industries and economy.
- Have a strong technical background and broad knowledge of GHG reduction technology innovation relevant to Alberta, with a capacity to understand and communicate technical issues.
- Be a proven leader, with the ability to manage, inspire, and motivate both staff and colleagues.
- Have the ability to develop trusting and productive relationships with ERA’s board of directors, CEO, executive team, and key stakeholders, including innovation system partners and Alberta’s industry leaders.
- Have exceptional oral and written communication skills.
Technology Investment Initiatives
- Work with ERA’s executive team, board of directors, and key stakeholders to develop strategic technology investment initiatives Lead the development of ongoing editions of ERA’s technology roadmap
- Oversee execution and administration of ERA’s technology investment initiatives and calls for proposals through your team and ERA’s service providers
- Support engagement activities with applicants and industry to help ensure ERA’s funding initiatives are aligned with market and technology opportunities
- Communicate funding recommendations to ERA’s board of directors based on evaluation and due diligence outcomes Lead ERA’s continuous intake programming activities, including the partnership intake program Participate in technology scouting and technology intelligence activities to identify investment opportunities and priorities
- Develop and maintain an ongoing understanding of innovation funding and technology development best practices used by high-performing funding organizations internationally and adopt these practices where appropriate
- Support ERA’s executive team to develop a strategic business plan that outlines investment priorities and mechanisms
- Oversee management of ERA’s technology funding investment portfolio in all areas of strategic focus in partnership with ERA’s Chief Operating Officer
- Coordinate with ERA’s portfolio management team to understand the current status of ongoing and approved projects
- Work with ERA’s portfolio management and project advisor team to ensure that ERA’s investments are progressing toward outcomes in alignment with ERA’s mandate and performance metrics in a timely manner
- Participate in project change management processes through ERA’s Project Review Group meetings and other communications
- Provide oversight to ERA’s GHG reduction quantification activities led by internal staff and service providers
- Work with ERA’s executive team to ensure a balanced portfolio that is aligned with ERA’s technology roadmap and Alberta’s climate plan
Collaboration and Communication
- Develop effective working relationships with internal and external stakeholders, including government, industrial associations, and other industry and innovation stakeholders to inform strategic priorities and needs for Alberta
- Oversee ERA’s relationship management with trusted funding partners for deal-flow and opportunity identification activities (Alberta Innovates, SDTC, Prairies Can, NRCan, etc.)
- Support the identification and development of strategic partnership opportunities that enable and accelerate ERA’s ability to deliver on strategic priorities
- Communicate the successes, learnings, and opportunities created by ERA’s portfolio by attending meetings, delivering presentations, and participating in events
- Oversee and support the development of knowledge-sharing and thought-leadership activities related to ERA’s funded technologies such as roundtable discussions and whitepapers
Operations, Governance, and Leadership
- Support the CEO in oversight of ERA’s strategic and operational activities through the ERA executive team
- Actively participate in ERA executive team meetings
- Actively participate in ERA Board of Directors meetings and strategic planning sessions
- Provide leadership, feedback, technical guidance and direction to team members
- Direct planning processes and performance evaluations for team members
- Provide coaching and advice for employees across the organization as appropriate
Skills and Abilities Required
- Capacity to understand complex science, engineering, and technology principles
- Strong understanding of greenhouse gas emissions management technologies and emissions quantification
- Strong understanding of climate policies and initiatives, especially within Alberta
- Effective written and verbal communication
- Proven ability to manage, inspire, and motivate staff and colleagues
- Propensity to think and act strategically
- Adaptability to diverse work styles and dynamic environments
- Strong systems thinking and creative problem solving
- Collaborative approach to leading within and across portfolios
- Strong public speaking and presentation delivery
- Understanding of project management principles
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to think critically
Compensation and Location
ERA offers competitive compensation in addition to opportunities for personal and professional achievement. The compensation for this position will be determined based on the experience and qualifications of the successful candidate. This role will be located at either ERA’s Edmonton or Calgary office.
Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion
In addition to the above skills and experience, Emissions Reduction Alberta is committed to an equitable, diverse, and inclusive workforce and Board. Applications from all qualified persons are welcome and we encourage women; First Nations, Métis and Inuit; members of visible minority groups; persons with disabilities; persons of any sexual orientations or gender identity and expression; and all those who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas to apply.
To apply for this position, please submit a cover letter and resume to Emissions Reduction Alberta at (email@example.com) by the closing date of June 8, 2023.