Data Management and Security Specialist | Emissions Reduction Alberta (ERA)
About ERA: A part of Alberta’s Climate and Innovation History
Emissions Reduction Alberta (ERA) was established to accelerate the development of innovative technologies that reduce greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions and secures Alberta’s success in a lower carbon economy. ERA delivers its mandate by investing revenues from the carbon price paid by large emitters in Alberta into innovative technologies that reduce GHG emissions and increase economic competitiveness.
ERA is a key partner of the Government of Alberta in addressing climate innovation priorities, and actively engages with industry and other organizations to identify opportunities to accelerate technology scale up and demonstration where there is an identified market need.
More information about ERA’s mandate, vision, and strategic priorities can be found at https://eralberta.ca/about-era/.
About this Opportunity
ERA is supported by a managed information technology service provider (MSP) that provides day-to-day helpdesk services. The MSP works closely with ERA to develop an Information Technology (IT) roadmap that meets ERA’s business needs and carries out requested IT projects for ERA. The Data Management and Security Specialist position will report to the Finance Manager and work closely with the ERA team and the MSP to ensure ERA’s IT environment is secure.
This position has three main functions: Data Management (35%), Data Security (35%), and IT Generalist (30%)
Data Management: Responsible for oversight of current data governance practices, including frameworks, policies, processes, and controls to ensure data quality and compliance with best practices and operational requirements.
Data Security: Responsible for safeguarding information systems and corporate information by conducting risk assessments, identifying, and protecting against cyber threats, responding to, and investigating cyber incidents.
IT Generalist: Responsible for providing briefings for the executive team and board and facilitating ERA’s annual external IT audit. Required to provide thorough analysis and recommendations on IT related matters. Project management of ongoing implementation of IT recommendations and priorities.
- Responsible for oversight of current data governance practices, including frameworks, policies, processes, and controls to ensure data quality and compliance with the business.
- Recommend and implement opportunities for improvement for data governance practices, ensuring that they are fit-for-purpose relative to organizational size and risk tolerance.
- Develop and maintain an ongoing understanding of data management and data security best practices.
- Oversee the IT, Data Management and Security function and work with the Finance Manager and MSP to develop and deliver ERA’s IT Strategy Roadmap.
- Identify gaps in the organization’s current IT, data management and data security environment and provide recommendations to strengthen internal controls and improve cyber security.
- Liaise with the MSP on project initiatives and coordinate with the MSP to execute solutions.
- Facilitate the annual external IT audit and action on audit findings for continuous improvement.
- Draft quarterly briefing notes for the Executive and board regarding updates on ERA’s IT matters.
- Provide innovative solutions to manual work processes and lead the execution.
Qualifications and Skills
- A bachelor’s degree in a technology-related field.
- 5+ years’ experience in data management, data security and IT; developing and delivering on an overall corporate IT strategy, and IT policy development.
- Experience with Microsoft 365 and SharePoint considered an asset.
- Systems administration, cybersecurity (Azure, Microsoft 365),
- Experience with implementing automated solutions via data analytics is considered an asset.
- 2+ years’ experience in project management
- Azure certification is considered an asset.
- Cybersecurity certifications are considered an asset.
- Intermediate knowledge of data analytics or beginner knowledge with demonstrated desire to learn.
- Knowledge in networking.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and manage projects.
- Strong systems thinking and creative problem solving.
- Well-developed interpersonal skills.
- Highly effective written and verbal communication skills.
This is a full-time, 12-month contract position, available to start immediately.
In addition to the above skills and experience, Emissions Reduction Alberta is committed to an equitable, diverse, and inclusive workforce and Board. Applications from all qualified persons are welcome and we encourage Women; First Nations, Métis, and Inuit; members of visible minority groups; persons with disabilities; persons of any sexual orientations or gender identity and expression; and all those who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas to apply.
Compensation and Location
ERA offers a competitive salary and benefits package in addition to opportunities for personal and professional achievement. The Base salary for this position is between $80,000 to $95,000 depending on experience and qualifications. This position can be located at ERA’s Edmonton or Calgary office.
To apply for this position, please submit a cover letter and resume to ERA at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than close of business on October 25, 2023. Please note this position is limited to Alberta applicants.