Policy and Project Coordinator | Emissions Reduction Alberta (ERA)
About ERA: A part of Alberta’s Climate and Innovation History
Emissions Reduction Alberta (ERA) was established to accelerate the development of innovative technologies that reduce greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions and secure Alberta’s success in a lower carbon economy. ERA delivers its mandate by investing revenues from the carbon price paid by large emitters in Alberta into innovative technologies that reduce greenhouse gas emissions and increase economic competitiveness.
ERA is a key partner of the Government of Alberta in addressing climate innovation priorities, and actively engages with industry and other organizations to identify opportunities to accelerate technology scale up and demonstration where there is an identified market need.
More information about ERA’s mandate, vision, and strategic priorities can be found at https://eralberta.ca/about-era/
About this Opportunity
ERA is seeking a Policy and Project Coordinator. Reporting to the Director of Policy and Performance Management, this position supports key research initiatives, develops briefing and strategic documents, and supports the delivery of defined projects.
To be effective in this role, the incumbent must have an awareness of the Alberta innovation system, the province’s environmental, economic and innovation policy priorities. The successful individual should have strong research, written and spoken communications skills, and an ability to manage multiple complex projects and initiatives.
The position assists in the development of program and operational policies, governance materials, and supports a variety of key initiatives and projects. The position is also integral to supporting strategic insights and briefing the executive team and board. The role resides in the strategy team that supports the entire organization to deliver results across a range of projects.
- Researches, evaluates, and analyses quantitative and qualitative data from a variety of sources, including internal and cross-jurisdictional databases and academic journals
- Supports the development and reporting of performance measures that drive organizational outcomes
- Assists ERA’s business planning process, including content development, organizing engagement sessions, writing and editing documents
- Provides support to design engagement and outreach approaches (examples include organizational meetings, inter-governmental outreach, working groups, and internal teams) to ensure ERA’s business planning and strategic planning are reflective of engagement outcomes.
- Assists in governance duties including drafting board briefing notes, supporting development of board strategy sessions, and supporting board agenda development and activities.
- Supports and/or coordinates various aspects of stakeholder consultation to identify strategies and initiatives to deliver ERA’s business processes
- Compiles information such as key messages, briefing notes, and responses for internal use and media inquiries
- Identifies links to government priorities, programs and services, partner initiatives, and commitments
- Assists in scheduling internal and external meetings as well as preparing agendas and programme for meetings
- Maintains and tracks contacts and meeting outcomes using relationship management system
- Provides support for the strategic and operational planning cycle, including documentation preparation and meeting organization
- Prepares and review documents, reports, and presentations, ensuring accuracy and confidentiality
- Participates in various internal functions including logistics for meetings and preparation of materials and presentations
Qualifications and Skills:
- A degree in business, environmental science, political science, or another related subject. In lieu of a specialized degree, related relevant work experience will be considered
- 2-5 years of related experience working in the areas of policy analysis, engagement, communications, events, strategic and business planning preferably related to innovation, sustainability, or related fields.
- Driven and seeking to build leadership capabilities: knowing what outcomes are important and maximizing resources to achieve results that are aligned with the goals of the organization, while maintaining accountability to each other and external stakeholders.
- Fast-Paced and Dynamic Environment: Thrives in well-defined and ambiguous planning and project cycles. Capable of engaging with team members to define outcomes and achieve results.
- Systems Thinking: ability to assess risk and provide strategic advice and support to professional staff, management, and executives.
- Creative Problem Solving: to assess options and implications of complex situations in new ways to achieve outcomes and solutions.
- Relationship building: Ability to work across various teams and add to a positive work culture.
- Ability to anticipate needs, think critically, and offer solutions to problems with a high level of professionalism and confidentiality.
- Ability to work both independently and within a team environment.
- Writing and editing, researching complex and dynamic themes, ability to analyze or prepare research for decision-maker analysis; critical thinking; effective communication and information management skills; relationship building; strategic planning; policy development; project management; organizational skills.
ERA is looking for a unique individual looking to grow their career and gain new knowledge and experience.
Who you are: A great researcher, writer, and editor. You are capable of distilling complex information and able to communicate this information to the executive team using the most appropriate tools and techniques. You have experience in supporting governance and strategy activities. Project management and planning are areas you excel in. You like to work in a positive culture of high performers who are all achieving results. You want to lean into your strengths and learn new skills. You want to work for an organization that is seeking your expertise to reach its goals and wants to support you to achieve your career goals.
Compensation and Location
ERA offers competitive compensation in addition to opportunities for personal and professional achievement. The base salary for this position is between $85,000 and $95,000dependent on experience, plus a comprehensive benefits package. This role will be located at either ERA’s Edmonton or Calgary office. In recognition of flexible needs of team members, ERA has adopted a hybrid work policy with a minimum of three days working in the office.
Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion
In addition to the above skills and experience, Emissions Reduction Alberta is committed to an equitable, diverse, and inclusive workforce and Board. Applications from all qualified persons are welcome and we encourage women; First Nations, Métis and Inuit; members of visible minority groups; persons with disabilities; persons of any sexual orientations or gender identity and expression; and all those who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas to apply.
To apply for this position, please submit a cover letter and resume to Emissions Reduction Alberta at email@example.com no later than close of business on November 13, 2023.